background

Friday, February 3, 2012

Bite Your Tongue!

I let Andrew play with my iPod Touch. He plays a memory game, he lands planes, and he plays a xylophone. At some point yesterday I can tell that he's landing planes because whenever they crash he makes a *CRASSSSSSH* sound effect. After a while I can tell that he's getting a little frustrated but was shocked when instead of "crasssssh" I hear, "DAMMIT!" Oops. That one's probably on me. I took away the iPod and told him, "Andrew, please don't say that, it's not a nice thing to say!" He responded with, "Only Mommy and Daddy can say dammit?" Ugh. That feels good.

Proverbs 12:16 A fool's anger is known at once, but a prudent man conceals dishonor.

My speech is t.e.r.r.i.b.l.e. It has been the bane of my existence (and my mother's) for as long as I can remember. The same quickness of speech that makes me funny and clever, makes me sharp and unkind in the blink of an eye. I want for my children to be better than me in this regard and there is nothing more humbling than realizing you pass your flaws along to your children as well as your strengths.

No comments: