background

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Interviews, tears, and stomach bugs

What a week it has been!! I think the the adrenaline from the big move has finally worn off, and we're left with the results. One of those results is HIGH emotions! Just the other day I was sitting on the couch with the boys, Andrew laid his head in my lap and said, "Mommy, I'm just sad because I miss my best friend." This was sweet and all, but what surprised me was that I started crying right along with him, and said, "I miss my best friend too, buddy." So me and Andrew had a little cry fest on the couch. That caught me off guard!

The other crazy thing is that Judah woke up with a stomach bug and was the sickest little sickie I have ever seen him be. Watching a two year old dry heave is enough to break any one's heart.

The latest fun though has come from my interviews!!!! Do you know how hard it is to make a resume when you've: 1. never had a full time job, and 2. been at home (technically unemployed) for the last few years? Hard. So the resume prep process was crazy. Then, when I finally got an interview I TOTALLY blow it. Well, that could be an exaggeration, but man, it was nuts. I already know that I'm the kind of person who absorbs and reflects the emotion of people around me, but when I land an interview with a very, I mean very, chipper blonde girl.... I surprised even myself. I have never heard myself talk so fast, with so many hand movements, and shark toothed smiles. Phew! It was the fastest interview ever, in every way. I will hear back in the next couple days. The next couple interviews went much better. I followed some advice from a friend, and when I found myself getting too fast I would take a deep breath and slow down. Who knew I was so spastic? *Again, this is rhetorical, no need to text me your response ;)*

What I think I've learned from my latest experiences with interviews though is that I should stick to what I know. I've been trying to avoid going back to waiting tables or bar tending, but I'm quite certain that it really is the best way to make money with a super flexible schedule.

Besides, the real goal is just to pay off some debt, and save up money for the next year before I go back to school! Yippee! I was telling Andrew that the two of us will go to school at the same time! I'll send my oldest off to kindergarten the same month that I strap on my backpack once more and attempt to blend into university life! I'm so scared.

Things are actually getting into a rhythm here in San Antonio. I am thrilled with the decision to move, and expect to have some fun pictures and stories to share regularly. These boys of mine keep things interesting.

2 comments:

Erik Burckart said...

Practice makes perfect with interviews...so experience interviewing for a few jobs you either don't want or know you can't get can be good experience. Glad your move went well but I know we'll miss you and your sweet boys.

Jessica said...

Thanks, Erik! I keep telling myself that all interview experience is valuable... but I keep doing that horrible thing where you remember something, shudder, slap yourself in the forehead, and try to pretend it didn't really happen... yeah, that thing.