background

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Chocolate Makes it All Better

Oh man. I just had this moment... with chocolate pie... tell me you do this too. I did that thing, where you grab a fork and eat pie straight out of the pie pan, because you don't need a WHOLE piece, you're "just going to have a bite"... but really it's so that you can have 20 bites (way more than a whole piece) and tell yourself you just had a teensy bit. It was amazing. Seriously, it made everything better for a whole two minutes.

There is this pie, this amazing pie, it's my dad's favorite. We only make it to celebrate October (my dad no longer celebrates his October 4th birthday, as he refuses to get older).  However, my mom is in Wichita Falls to take care of my sister and her new baby. Which leaves me and my dad here at the house fending for ourselves. So I saw it as only fitting that I make our October pie, in August.

Because I care, I want to share the recipe with you.

Happy October Chocolate Pie

2 c. milk
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. flour
a dash of salt
2 eggs
2 sq. unsweetened chocolate
1/4 c. butter
1 t. vanilla
1 9" pie crust

1. Bake the frozen pie crust you bought... because seriously, who makes their own pie crust?

2. Mix the sugar, flour, and salt together. Mix the milk and eggs together. Then combine them in a large sauce pan and whisk over med-low heat until it thickens (this takes a good 10 minutes, maybe more, but keep stirring so the milk doesn't scald. Yes, your arm will get sore. No, it doesn't mean you need to work out more).

3. Remove from heat then add the chocolate, butter, and vanilla. Mix until combined.

4. Resist sticking your finger in the pie filling to taste it. It will, I promise, scald the freaking crap out of your finger and consequently your mouth, when you decide to lick it off in spite of the burning finger.

5. Pour into the pie shell and chill for 5-6 hours. (sweet tooth in a hurry? Put it in the freezer for an hour, then the fridge for an hour.)

6. Devour

1 comment:

Kate said...

this looks DELICIOUS!