background

Friday, March 2, 2012

Ebenezer

The connotation of Ebenezer in a bible sense is that it's a marker of how far God has brought a person, or a people group.


Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Jeshanah, and named it Ebenezer; for he said, "Thus far the LORD has helped us." So the Philistines were subdued and did not again enter the territory of Israel; the hand of the LORD was against the Philistines all the days of Samuel. The towns that the Philistines had taken from Israel were restored to Israel, from Ekron to Gath; and Israel recovered their territory from the hand of the Philistines. There was peace also between Israel and the Amorites. (1 Samuel 7:12-14)


So I'd like to, in my blog, place a timeline kind of Ebenezer. Only a few weeks ago I was consumed with anger and unforgiveness towards a group of people who hurt me and my family. I was not taking the Lord's Supper in church because there was such great unrest between me and these other believers. If you had asked me even just 6 weeks ago if I thought I could ever forgive them, or in good conscience take the Lord's Supper again I would have said, "no".

However, God had bigger plans. Through some heart-rending preaching, and some wise counsel, and homework assignments. God has not only softened my heart to the point where I have forgiven these people (walking it out as best I can), but has allowed me to, in good conscience, take communion with my church body (last Sunday)!!

I learned so very much through this struggle about myself, and about God. I want you, who read this, to understand that God worked single-handedly in my heart to make this change. If it had been up to me I would still be swimming in doubt towards God and hatred for the people who hurt me. God is so so good to me that He changed me.


*click the link below called "forgiveness stuff" if you want to read what I've learned.

No comments: