background

Monday, January 16, 2012

Lazy Politics

I am doing my best to keep up with all the men and women who are throwing their hat into the presidential ring. I am notoriously un-involved right up until it's time to vote. So I'm trying to do better this time around. It makes my head throb though, because with a list of Christian ethics to consider it makes it seem like I can't, in good conscience, vote for a single one of these fools! I know that we can't be single issue voters, but I simply will not overlook the abortion issue. I will never be responsible for casting a vote for a man or woman who is willing to overlook legal murder. Won't do it. 

The argument to make abortion legal was largely based on the idea that women were killing themselves by having back alley abortions, using clothes hangers on themselves and causing massive bleeding, permanent infertility, or death. I've got to say, and I know this is harsh, but if the consequence of murdering your child is your own death, that seems about right to me. I absolutely know that some of these women were in danger and scared, and I am heartbroken for those women. I never ever ever want a woman to die this way, it's tragic. I also, do not want women who have had an abortion to be killed, I want them to be restored with the gospel that is forgiveness and mercy. However, the logic that we should make something horrible legal, because the risk of danger to the offender is high, is out of this world insane. We should not make suicide bombers job easier by making it legal to place a bomb in a public place then walk safely away, insanity.

Rusty and I had the pleasure of taking a vacation, sans chirins, to a bed and breakfast, and we had some really great political conversations with an older couple while we were there. One of those conversations was over the legalization of certain drugs. Their opinion was that if it was made legal, it would be monitored, and therefore safer. They believe that use of these drugs is inevitable so we might as well make it legal and put the dealers out of business. My opinion on this, and most of these type issues, is that we as a culture have allowed the government to set our personal ethics and I think that is i.n.c.r.e.d.i.b.l.y. dangerous. My fear is that the moment that drugs become legal, they become "ethical". As a parent I know that teaching our kids to set their ethics based on scripture and conviction is already an uphill battle, when we start fighting the legal system it becomes an even steeper climb. 

I also have the pleasure of discussing politics and religion with my aunts, and I spend a considerable amount of time discussing the legalization of same-sex marriage. I have a strange take on this topic because I define marriage, not by our marriage certificate, granted by the state, but by a holy union ordained by God. I don't think that the government has the right to grant, dissolve, or define marriage. I think that no matter what laws are passed, that right still resides with God Himself. (read our very odd wedding tale here) Christians are largely upset over the issue of same-sex marriage because of their strong opinion on divorce. If all of a sudden same-sex marriage is legal, then do we, Christians, have to change our view of divorce? Because ultimately our hope is that homosexual couples will come to know Christ, the truth of the bible, and no longer remain in a homosexual relationship. So yes, divorce would be one of those steps. If/When the states allow same-sex marriage I will be an advocate of those couples receiving a certificate of divorce from the state, because I believe that union will not be recognized as such by God simply because they received a certificate of marriage from the state. Out there? Maybe. But when I think of this issue from the perspective of a same-sex couple, I understand perfectly their desire to be recognized by the state. Until these couples come to know Christ, and look at it from our view of a God defined union, we're arguing a fight from two worlds, we'll never agree. I wish that Christians would back off a little bit and realize that condemning a behavior before addressing the heart is fruitless. I also wish that homosexual individuals would realize that it's not homophobic, or hateful, for a Christian to oppose same-sex marriage. I wish that they would separate our desire to protect a Christian view of marriage, and our feelings towards them as individuals. I love, with abandon, my homosexual friends and family. I am not homophobic. I do not hate gay people. I very much want the biblical view of marriage to be the only legal one, but it already isn't. Divorce certificates are handed out left and right. Annulments happen every single day. So Christians, lets address the sanctity of marriage as a whole, and let's stop pretending like the first step towards chaos is the legalization of homosexual unions.

I think I'm done with my political topic rants for now. I am certain that there are holes in my logic somewhere so please address them if you feel so led (Facebook, comment section, email, however). I'm happy to discuss them.

John 3:17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

He found us all lost and lacking.

2 comments:

Erik Burckart said...

You and I think a lot alike with respect to politics although it has gotten a lot of attention and thought in my life. I absolutely agree on abortion, its nearly impossible for me to sleep at night thinking about voting for anyone who supports abortion outright.

For homosexual unions, I didn't know what to think at first and read this post from John Piper which got me thinking and somewhat disagreeing with his conclusion. After reading that, it was clear to me that the decision was whether I should support legislating this morality case or not. Homosexuality is clearly a sin in the bible and should this be a sin we legislate? I find that while my desire is everyone have a convenant marriage between man, woman, and God - I am not sure that legislating marriage between man and woman is doing any good at helping people to know and accept Christ as their Savior.

Jessica said...

Erik I agree. I understand where Piper is coming from, but it seems like if we're trying to make the Christian idea of marriage the only legal one, then we've got existing problems to address. Expecting our government to act like church leadership is pushing it. I would hope that no matter what laws are passed that Christian ministers would hold firm to what God deems 'marriage'. That's about as much as I can hope for. My ideal is that our supreme court and presidency would be held by evangelical Christians, but until that day we've just got to vote our conscience and pray for our country and our neighbors.