background

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Sometimes parents suck

I've been talking to one of my girlfriends about all the CRAZY things parents say about parenthood. What is broken in our heads, parents?

What we say:
Ugh! Just wait until you have kids!
Translation:
You don't know stress, you sad little kidless thing, just wait.

What we say:
Have all your fun now! All that goes out the window when you have kids!
Translation:
You don't have fun once you have kids.

What we say:
Are you SURE you want to have kids? I mean.... look.
Translation:
Parenthood is hell on earth.

So lame! I've been catching myself starting statements/questions like this and I'm trying to stop them in their tracks!! Fact is, life changes when the littles show up, but man, mine changed for the better. The stress that I experience as a parent is hard, but totally worth it. Fun changed meanings, I still have it, it just looks a little different. And the fun that looks the same as it used to takes a little bit of work... also totally worth it. I SO hope that my kids never hear me say these things to anybody. I was beyond blessed with a mother who spoke nothing but positive things about us in public. She would even correct the crazy jogging suit moms who would start this sentence, "soooo.... teenagers.... that must be" WONDERFUL, my mom would interject. She's the best.

No comments: