background

Monday, January 9, 2012

Sometimes kids suck

I am a member of a Facebook group called 'One Mother to Another' and it is GREAT! It is a place where moms can ask questions of other moms and not feel judged or embarrassed. One sweet girlie posted a question recently about how her daughter has learned that if she'll just cry loud enough, she gets picked up. Well this mom works from home so she's got to be able to get her stuff done sometimes, and having a kid on your hip can be prohibitive of productivity a lot of the time. Here's what I was about to respond with: "Let that banshee cry! She learned that you'd pick her up, so her cause and effect brain cells are functioning, soon enough she'll learn that just because she cries doesn't mean she'll get picked up!" But here's what about 15 sweet intentioned mothers responded with first, "Well pick her up! She obviously needs to be held, and these young years just go so fast!" Ugh. And then I read this blog post (http://momastery.com/blog/2012/01/04/2011-lesson-2-dont-carpe-diem/) that was awesome because she's writing about how sometimes when people say "carpe diem" and crap like that, in reference to parenting, that they're asking for a slap in the face. Okay, maybe the lady who wrote the original blog post wouldn't put it that way, but when I seconded her motion for carpeing your own freaking diem, that's what I got out of it.

The fact is, sometimes kids suck! Andrew must ask 14 billion questions a day. Mother Teresa would get sick of that junk. I mean, come on! Judah is intent on breaking the record for number of stitches had in a lifetime, so that makes a lady tired when it's her full time job to keep the daredevil alive. Andrew handed me a booger the other day.... a booger.... like it was a present. Judah gave me a bloody nose when he got too aggressive in the working out of his new hug strategy. Andrew cannot, without exception, ever, in any situation, talk and obey a command. So I say a hundred times a day, "Andrew, be silent, and go potty. Andrew, quiet. Now." My point is that it's not only the disobedient stuff that makes a person have their tubes tied. Kids are the absolute best thing that's ever happened to me. I have never laughed harder, loved more, or been more invested in a person's life, than I am with my boys. 99% of these blog posts are about how my kids are cuter, smarter, stronger, more athletic, and funnier, than your kids. I still believe that to be true. But the underlying truth remains, sometimes kids suck.

No comments: